A script to add links to Wikidata on Twitter
This week, Egon Willighagen had the idea of a script to add a Wikidata icon on Twitter accounts that have a matching Wikidata item. I made it, to be able to:
- quickly get information on Twitter about a topic, a person or an organization that you don’t know,
- improve Wikidata content by adding Twitter usernames which are missing.
Even if it’s still at an early stage, it’s usable, and looks like this:
You can hover over a Wikidata icon to display the
Qid and click on it to go to the matching Wikidata item.
- Install Greasemonkey, Tampermonkey, or Violentmonkey add-on on your web browser (for example Mozilla Firefox, or any other that supports one of these add-ons).
- Install (or update) the script by clicking on this link: TwitterToWiki.user.js.
- Go to Twitter. A Wikidata icon will be added next to each Twitter username if there is a matching Wikidata item.
The script was tested only with Tampermonkey on Mozilla Firefox.
Please send me a tweet if you discover any issue.
- In some cases (profile cards and small conversations), the icon will not be added.
- Handle #hashtags.
- Improve the matching to Wikidata items, as it uses the Twitter username in a case-sensitive manner and so sometimes doesn’t work.
- Add a Wikipedia icon.